Sunday, January 20, 2008

Great Eastern Pacesetters 30KM 2008...

Event: Great Eastern Pacesetters 30KM 2008
Venue: Tapak A, Lake Gardens, Kuala Lumpur
Date: 20 January 2008
Time: 6.00am
Distance: 30KM
Shoe: adidas Supernova Cushion 6
By Frank

The 2008 running season kick started today with the Great Eastern Pacesetters 30KM 2008 held at Tapak A, Tasik Perdana otherwise known as Lake Gardens. I couldn't sleep yesterday and only managed an hour's sleep before waking up preparing for the run. I arrived at 5.30am and the place was jam packed with people. I had to walk a little to reach to the starting area. Upon reporting myself, I made myself to the starting point and waited with all the runners. I was pretty near the front. The 30KM run will start at 6am and so it did but without any signs. To my suprise, the deputy CEO from Great Eastern Life just blew the air horn. Most of the runners just went into shock and started running.

It was a small hill climb out of Lake Gardens at the start. And to add matters worst, it was very dark. My heart rate was high at around 85% at that time. Too early to go that high, but I just couldn't keep it down. The hill was taking it's toll on me. As I exited Lake Gardens, I made myself to Bukit Tungku. Another dark area but at least there were plenty of trees around. But this is where I started to feel my ACL and ITB on my left knee at around the 4KM mark. It's the same pain that I felt during my first practice run after my Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2007. I told myself that it's too early to take a break. I ran with the pain hoping that it will go away and it did. Then came the ultimate challege at 5KM. The double uphill climb. Suprisingly, I didn't struggle here and successfully made it all the way to the end without any pain.

At the 10KM mark, I was back at the entrance of Lake Gardens. I needed to do another loop before proceeding on the 15KM and beyond. It's the 15KM mark where runners have to cross the busy street of Jalan Duta. And busy it was and imagine the fumes emitted by the vehicles. I quickly race across the street and made myself to traffic free area. Then at the 18KM mark, it's where I took my first break. It was a short one before my next at the 20KM mark. This is where I started to struggle. Both my ankle started to ache. I can't move it around so I just have to run with it. I still had 1 hour to spare before the end of the qualifying time of 3.5 hours. Technically, I should be able to do it. But as the pain grew more severe, I had to stop numerous times. I kept thinking positive hoping that I will be able to do it. But everything collapsed when I was at the 29KM mark. The time was already up. Nevertheless, I still ran all the way to the finish line and raise both my hands for a photo shot as I crossed the finish line at position 525 clocking 03:39:00.
.

The finisher's medal...

Despite not making the qualifying time, I was still presented a finisher's medal. Overall, I regretted that I didn't push myself a little further as I was very close in making it within the qualifying time. I blame myself for my insomia and also my lack of training since my last race last year at Singapore thanks to a crack heel and pulled leg muscles. Nevertheless, it was still a successful run and there is no point looking back at it now. It's just the first race of 2008 and there will be more to come.

4 comments:

Jamie Pang said...

regardless i think u did well. take it easy on the itb and knee. if you're training for klim, may i suggest taking the consistent and easy method ie. do 10K 4 times a week (preferably in a row), 1 rest day, then 1 LSD on Sun. all your runs are to be done at easy conversational pace. it'll work wonders.

btw, thanks for dropping by my blog!

C-CUBE said...

Carboman is right, run at talk kok pace ~ as what der Pacemakers always refer to.

No worries about the time, as u said its the very first race of the year. There are more to come, cinya!!!!

Frank Chong said...

carboman: I used to have knee problems actually but that's like back in 2006. It's kinda history now. Yes, I'm training for KLIM and will certainly try out your recommendation. Aiming for at least 4 full marathons this year, hoping that Melbourne Marathon will be one of them.

c-cube: True. No point looking back as we all must run forward. Thanks for dropping by my site.

yipwt said...

hi Frank,

Nice meeting u there...sure..i'll link to your blog soon.