Friday, June 06, 2008

Day 30: adidas Response Control 7 Review...

By Frank

It’s been 30 days since I first received the adidas Response Control 7 and yes, it’s time for a full review! Since the first day I’ve got it till now, the shoe has seen much action. From my tempo runs to races ranging from 5KM till 15KM, the shoe has proven its worth.

The adidas Response Control 7...

The adidas Response Control 7 is an entry level motion control training shoe. No fancy or high-tech technology built into it but yet it got straight to the point, to protect the feet as we run. The built of the shoe was good as it didn’t feel like slipping into a cheap shoe. The shoe was handsomely designed too and mine came in white with shades of red and metallic silver.

Positive
Upon receiving the shoe, my first impression was that this shoe is roomy! The roomy toebox was good enough for me to allow my toes to move around just right. Therefore, no overlapping of toes which may lead to blisters. The shoe is also built on a width of 2E which suits people with wide feet. But not only that, the wider width meant a larger midsole which provided added support which worked together with a small plastic plate under the heel area. It provided me with a much needed stability support by slowing down my pronation rate working together with the pro-moderator technology embedded on it. I’m a mild pronator by the way. And although the FORMOTION is of a very basic design without the inner mechanism, it works just fine assisting on the heel strike. It seems everything was built with a link to each other. Neat! And although geoFiT was omitted, I felt the collar to be pretty comfortable. The padding wasn’t too thick or thin and it hug my ankle at just the way I like it to be.

Key notes:
2E width.
Roomy toebox.
Anti slip laces.
Good pronation control.

FORMOTION logo marks the presence of the technology...
.
Even without geoFiT, the collar was comfortable...


Negative
As mentioned earlier in my entry on Day 19, I found the rear sole to be a bit on the thick side which irritated me as I ran further. Stiffness was all right but somehow the thickness of it meant my heels were rubbing on the heel counter more. I personally prefer soles that are thinner like those on the Supernova series. Next, the breathability of the shoe was poor. Both my feet were sweaty after each runs and in one case of a 10KM race, it led me to a blistered toe. The mesh was thick and no holes were built on the soles like the adidas adistar Cushion 6. And from a comfortable shoe to wear after slipping on, it soon became a soggy affair.

Key notes:
Thick heel area.
Breathability is very poor.
A bit high on the price tag.

The thick mesh and no ventilation holes on the soles...

Overall, the adidas Response Control 7 is a pretty neat shoe. A 10KM run will be nice, but a 15KM run will be pushing it to the max especially on race pace. The retail price of RM349 might be a bit on the expensive side considering this is an entry level trainer designed and built for those on a tight budget.

Comfort: 7.5/10
Cushioning: 8/10
Design: 8.5/10
Flexibility: 6.5/10
Weight: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.6

For more information and pictures, do read some of my day to day feedback I had on the adidas Response Control 7 as I train with it for the last 30 days. Day 1, Day 3 and Day 19.

Ready for action...

And thus with this report, comes a close to my second shoe seeding program with adidas Malaysia. Thanks you adidas Malaysia and Krishnan for the opportunity given.

No comments: