Thursday, January 13, 2011

K-Swiss K-Ruuz

By Frank

Another K-Swiss shoe review! And this time, it's the shoe that took Mirinda Carfrae to the women's 2010 Ironman World Champion title, the K-Swiss K-Ruuz.

Mirinda Carfrae feeling awesome in the K-Swiss K-Ruuz...


Lateral view of the K-Swiss K-Ruuz...


Medial view of the K-Swiss K-Ruuz...

The K-Swiss K-Ruuz isn't a new model for K-Swiss. In fact, has been released back in the second quarter of year 2010. This review just came as I only just had my chance to give it a go. The K-Ruuz is probably the "fastest" shoe in K-Swiss line up, period. Super light weight weighting at about 184g for a men size US9, it falls under the racing flat category. Measuring a mere 9.5mm at the lowest point, it is totally flat on the outsole but yet a very mild medial post on the rear of heel area. Honestly speaking, I don't really like the inclusion of a medial post on that area, but in the case of this shoe, I didn't really care for it at all. The reason, this shoe is so minimalist in design and low profile, that mid or forefoot strike is made so much easier. Hardly will my feet land on their heel, except when maybe when I go tired.


View of the medial stability post...

The Flow Cool System is again implemented into this shoe with the features on the toe box and the heel cupling. Not forgetting the 10 drainage ports on the shoe's outsole. Similar size to the Blade-Light series and not as huge as the K-Onas, it still does the trick in getting water out of the way.

Most of the outsole is built on K-EVAs except for a small part on the heel strike area where K-Swiss's proprietary blown rubber Aosta II is used. This shoe is made fast, but it's also very fast in wear and tear. Being a low profile pure racing flat, this isn't surprising. I have ran 50KM using them and the signs are clear. Probably another 3 marathon distance races and I shall be able to call it a day from its racing duties.


AOSTA II blown rubber for durability...

Some questioned the shoes ability to hold up the marathon distance due to the extremely low profile that is even thinner than my previous thinnest shoe, the ASICS DS-Racer VII. Initial reviews by magazines states that it's most suited for a 10KM race, with max being the half marathon distance. However, I personally think the K-Ruuz will be able to go the distance. Mirinda Carfrae and Andreas Raelert did it, and I personally did it at the recent Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2010. Cushioning is provided with K-Swiss proprietary cushioning foam called the SuperFoam embedded on the midsole. And with it, I did not feel any discomfort, in fact I felt great running in them. Due to the low profile nature, it was very responsive.


The K-Swiss K-Ruuz (blue) is even lower profile than the ASICS DS-Racer VII (red/white)...


The SuperFoam cushioning system...

Yes, the mesh and overlays are thin enough providing great ventilation. It also makes them extremely flexible too. But I personally don't recommend to wear them sockless due to the molded seams on the shoe's medial where the 5 stripes are. The molding of the 5 stripes is perhaps for the arch stability control where the shoes wrap around the wearer's arch. This is after all a pure racer, therefore expect the shoe to be tight fitting.


The thin mesh and overlays, and a view of the molding of the stripes area...

The collar isn't well padded due to weight concerns. It's actually pretty rough hence "no show" socks might cause chaffing on the Achilles region. I've worn "mini-crew" socks which are generally well padded and has no issue on irritation from the collar. However, this may be subjective among runners. As for the tongue, it's very thin but I find no irritation from it either. It too stayed in place throughout my entire marathon distance, probably due to the longer design.

The K-Swiss K-Ruuz is my current favourite racing flat, period. Low profile enables mid to fore foot strike hence great to avoid pressure travelling to the knee and spine, highly flexible and super ventilated. As for the wear and tear durability issue of the outsole, guess just have to live with it as I believe that all minimalists low profile shoe faces the same issue.

The K-Swiss K-Ruuz is available at Runnerz Circle with a recommended selling price of RM369.

1 comment:

Josh Harrison nz said...

I don't wear socks in these shoes. I train and race Ironman in these and have never had a blister. The reason is they are like slippers so soft and flexible after only 1 or 2 45 min light runs they will mold and be the best thing you will ever have on your feet. Also as for durability, i do all my training in these apart from training runs over 2 hours and mine have lasted about 700k. I will race 1 more 42k before I replace.